Homesick Mac's Guitar Retreats (est. 2012)
Welcome to the Christmas Guitar Retreat 2020!
- The preliminary date for 2020 is Saturday to Sunday, Dec. 12-13th!
- We start at 15:00 hours on Saturday and part at 15:00 on Sunday. It's 24 hours of old timey music, Christmas food and some sleep (not too much usually….)
- Please register for our mailing list and you will be notified on time.
Frequently Asked Questions and more detailed information:
Why do I keep doing this with Guitar Retreats?Open or CloseI have been holding workshops for many years now. Teaching one on one or in group, the most memorable and rewarding was my 8 year stint at the Blues Week programme through the European Blues Association in UK. I taught slide beginner classes within acoustic blues and that was tremendous fun. I’ve learned just as much as my students I guess.
But the Retreat? Isn’t a retreat something spiritual..?
If a traditional workshop is a process of teaching by showing and then practicing until it’s perfected, a retreat is more than that, I believe. Come and relax as well, enjoy the nature, take the time only for yourself, besides getting a best possible workshop...
Christmas Guitar Retreat - what's the difference compared to the summer retreat?Open or CloseWell, it's cold, possibly windy while crossing the water on a small ferry, maybe we'd be getting some snow as well, but the room is warm and the mood is great, not to talk about the food waiting, all included in price.
It's only two days in your calendar, but practically, you're with us for the full 24 hours. We start at 15.00 on Saturday and we part at 15:00 on Sunday. Please see more info below.
Not so much different from the summer retreat, but the theme is "Christmas" after all, so I'll be chosing the apropriate songs that will still challenge you guitar wise.
Please apply for the Christmas Retreat here
Who is the Retreat for?Open or CloseGuitar players of all levels (even beginners with only the basic chord knowledge)
Guitar players within various music styles
Musicians with another main instrument but playing the guitar as well
Music lovers interested in all aspects of an acoustic guitar
You don't need to be able to read music or guitar tablature, lot of teaching is done by making video recordings of the tuition both prior to, during and after the retreat. The latter is a special bonus.
What Are You Getting?Open or Close
- During and in between learning some new songs, you will learn new licks, try new playing techniques and improve the ones you already have, we’ll be working with open tunings etc.
- AMA (Ask Me Anything) during the Retreat. I'm always happy to pass my knowledge of doing a professional guitar setup regarding the guitar physics, choice of strings and the string action for your best playing comfort. I’ll also advise you how to take care of your precious instrument.
- I will talk about playing live, choosing the right song for the occasion and audience, dynamics of playing and many other aspects of being out there in the spotlight
- Detach from the outside world for a while, the Island of Ven is a fantastic place...
Christmas Retreat pricingOpen or CloseSEK 1.695:- incl. VAT) for the retreat.
We are staying in wonderful bungalows for 4 persons in each (two 2-bed rooms).
Please notice that the tuition, accommodation, Christmas meal (Julbord), breakfast, lunch, are all included in the price.
If you don't want to share the room or a bungalow, there is an option of staying “solo” at an additional cost of 200 SEK per person. Please read more on the Retreat application page. If you don’t want to commit to participation yet, feel welcome to contact me with any questions you might have.
If you’d wish to take a guest with you who is not a participant, it is possible towards an additional fee that will cover only the stay and same deal about the meals etc. Please feel free to contact me in this matter as well.
Christmas Retreat Schedule - hour for hourOpen or CloseDay 1
12:00-15:00 We start with a relaxed participants drop in. Check in, mingle & get to know each other, relax, warm up... We usually end up doing some individual coaching and discussing technical stuff and so on.
15:00 - 15:45 Workshop, getting to know each other musically, relaxed jamming over known songs to get things going.
16:00 - 17:00 Learning the song 1
17:00 - 18:00 Learning the song 2
18:00 - 21:00 Evening meal (Swedish Julbord included in the retreat fee) & gathering
21:00 - late hours (usually) Evening Jam Session
08:00 - 09:00 Breakfast (included in the Retreat fee)
09:00 - 10:00 Workshop repetition of the Song 1 & Song 2
10:00 - 11:00 Learning the Song 3
11:00 - 12:00 Arranging the songs we learned
12:00 - 13:00 Lunch break (lunch included in the Retreat fee)
13:30 - 15:00 Christmas Retreat conclusion, repetition, jamming…
15:00 —> Heading home everyone, thanks for coming!!!!!
Please apply for the Christmas Retreat here